1. Of course, seeing S and BF walk through that door. S always gets a HUGE welcome from Willow- she wiggles and jumps and barks and wiggles some more. (Willow, not S)
2. Dinner out- all of us- at Shiraz. The hummus and kabobs and fatoosh were plentiful, as was the chatter.
3. One of our favorite acts from the Urban Goatwalker was performing at Shiraz tonight. That boy can sing and is as pretty as angel!
4. Going downtown and counting limos. There was one whole parking lot of them by the Frazier Museum.
5. Bardstown Road- Quite the people watching experience tonight. I guess my favorite sight was two little boys, probably 10 or 11, who had put down their skateboards and were dancing to some live music on the street.
6. Our tradition- getting ourselves into the limo line headed to the big Barnstable Brown party. They set up big fenced off “gawking” areas which are always packed with folks clamoring to see who gets out of each limo. A spotlight is turned to the door of the limo and an announcer says, “Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome…….” and tonight the person who got out of the limo in front of us? JOHN MICHAEL MONTGOMERY!!! Yes! So, yeah. We are sitting right there with the fans crushing in on both sides of the car and John Michael Montgomery in the car in front of us. Then of course the scowling police officers moved us along. Sorely missed at that party this year was Dixie Carter. She and Hal Holbrook were always faithful to walk across the street to say hello to the gawkers and sign some autographs and pose for some pictures.
7. Seeing my friend Marc inflating the hot air balloon he works with on the grounds of the BB party. We could not figure out from looking what the theme of this years party was, but they most always have the balloon in the front yard tethered but inflated. The irony is that a good 20 years ago (another lifetime) a work friend and I went to stand in the gawking section, but got to go onto the actual grounds because his friend Marc was going to be inflating a hot air balloon there. Who knew that all these years Marc and I would cross paths and become friends?
8. That hot Krispy Kreme doughnut was the crowning point of a very fun evening.
From the sounds of the weather forecast, Derby Eve may well have been the best part of the whole event. Lots of bad weather predicted for tomorrow. High winds and tons of rain. And I’m supposed to work at a party that is benefiting the clinic I work in from midnight to 3 a.m. In a tent…..