Wednesday, April 21, 2010

For Today

Outside my window…..  I hear cats…..several of them  The joys of urban living- feral cat colonies.  There is a huge group living just beyond my back yard, in my back yard, in my neighbors yards…Sigh.

I am  thinking...about my youngest leaving for college in the fall.  As her final days of her senior year are winding down, I’m having a mighty hard time staying in denial about her impending departure.  While there are days when both of us would say we are more than ready for that, today is not one of those days.

I am thankful for...my beloved friend Di and a tender time of discernment tonight as she explores the possibility of ordination.  What a gift it is to get the opportunity to really affirm the gifts of someone you love dearly.

From the kitchen...I smell basil, and on my fingertips as well after threading basil and mozzarella and grape tomatoes onto skewers for a pitch in at work tomorrow.

I am wearing...pants that clung to my legs with static cling all day and made me irritable.  It’s April already, for crying out loud.  And I use fabric softener!

I am creating...a planting plan for my unruly untended yard.  I’m going for easy.  Zinnias and cosmos.

I am going...crazy, I think.  Yesterday a girl at work asked me for change for a dollar.  I rooted around and found enough change and handed if off to her.  She handed me a dollar bill and I said, “What’s that for?”    Sad.

I am reading...The Girls from Ames – slow reader.  Needing to hunt down a copy of a book by a Berea author which my book group is doing next month.

I am hoping...to celebrate my older daughters birthday with her this weekend and maybe even get to finally meet her boyfriend.

I am hearing...no air conditioning.  Sadly, it’s not just because it’s very cool out.  It’s also because my air conditioner has totally quit working.  I am feeling pretty sad about that!

Around the house...are leftovers from a Thunder get together with my family and community meal that need to just move on.  Tooooo many cookies and chips and dip and such.

One of my favorite things...is having friends who cry as much as I do!  And over the same things.  My friend told me tonight about passing a dead groundhog on the side of the road near our house and standing beside it was the most forlorn looking other groundhog.  As her car approached, it scurried away but from the rear view mirror she saw it take up its vigil again once she passed.  So, we both had a cry over that tender scene.

A few plans for the rest of the week……..hopefully, enjoying my newly turned 19 year old daughter all weekend.

Here is picture for thought I am sharing…..

001

Two years ago today- visiting the campus at Berea, full of excitement and hope and mystery as college days approached.

Today I have joined with other women who are choosing to linger on the simple things on Tuesdays through The Simple Woman’s Daybook.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sue, where do I start?

She has a boyfriend now? Really??

Sorry to hear about the air conditioning. I hope it remains cool for the next while so it can be repaired.

I also cry. A lot. I love knowing others do, too.

Love to you friend!

scrapwordsmom said...

What a wonderful post. I love the layout and look of your blog as I am a huge bird fan!!

Thanks for stopping by Words of Me Project:)

Leslie

donna said...

Happy Birthday to Shameka and good luck with the bf visit.

I'm a big fan of your Simple Things Tuesdays. Big, big fan.

I need to get busy on my own blog, but it always feels more fun to visit my blogger friends.

donna