Saturday, May 9, 2009

8 Things



8 Things I learned from my mother
1. To be steadfast, as evidenced by her 60 years of marriage and over 50 years as a part of the same church family.
2. To find every opportunitiy to celebrate something.
3. Living a life of service is not optional. Whether it be neighborhood organizing, church committee work, PTA, or any other organization we were tied to, my mother modeled to me that we have a responsibility to give back.
4. That everyone should be treated fairly and kindly. I don't remember ever hearing my mother say one derogatory thing about someone with a different color of skin or background.
5. How to throw down a bereavement meal.
6. To call when you get there. No matter where we are going, if it's out of Louisville, we have always been admonished to "call when you get there."
7. The importance of a family meal time.
8. That God loves me.

2 comments:

donna said...

You can't buy a Hallmark card that says Happy Mother's Day better than this post. Happy Mother's Day to you, too.

Beth Akins said...

Here's to Mom and a great daughter, too!