Thursday, January 19, 2012

Oh, the places I will never go!


The Places You'll Go --Theodore Geisel
You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy
who'll decide where to go.
~ Dr. Seuss


I think it’s a holdover from my childhood, but I am a devoted homebody. This has grown more pronounced as I age. I am always so curious about the people in my life who love love love to travel. I’m almost certain that if someone arrived on my doorstep right at this moment and offered me an expense paid trip to anywhere……I’d forfeit the prize. If, however, I could just wake up and be somewhere without ever having to plan and worry and prepare and travel to get there, and if I were assured a room and bath of my own, and preferably if my husband or one of my kids or sister or mother or best friends were with me……then I think I’d be quite happy about it.


So, where would I be happy to wake up (in my own room with my chosen traveling companion)?


India. And during Holi if I get to choose. Seattle or Portland- with money in my pocket to eat and shop in the little places I’ve read of for years. A cabin in one of those little camps on a lake in Minnesota in August.



Mohonk. But I definitely don’t want to get there, just want to wake up there!


Of course there would be the trip to Chicago with my best friend, a trip with my sister to about anywhere, a trip with DH back to where we went on our honeymoon, my friend’s lake house in Tennessee, the kitchen table of dear friends all over the country.


Where else would be lovely?


Truth is, just imagining it is fine by me, or better yet, hearing a first hand account from people who have been there. I love to read of travel and of faraway places….from the comfort of my own home where I sleep happily in my own bed every night.

1 comment:

Beth Akins said...

I'll travel for you! And send detailed reports :)