Monday, September 21, 2009

Edit, Add, Appreciate

Edit- Today I made a big concession. I finally accepted that I a) no longer have children who make their lunches. Actually, I haven’t for a good 3 years…. b) I can no longer afford the luxury of maintaining the “lunch closet” when so pressed for space around here. For years I had a special closet that I kept stocked with all of the mix and match items the kids would want/need to pack their lunches for school. My kids became way too cool to eat a lunch in 2006! I still kept similar items in there for snackers, but really now there are only 3 of us with only one of us being much of a snacker at all. Sooooooooo today the closet was emptied and rearranged, but I know that we will forever call it the lunch closet.

Add- K and I took a “snow day” off from church today. We both were really tired, she was coming down with a cold, I needed some nesting time, and it was pouring down rain. Settled. We hunkered down and I loved having this long stretch of time at home. I think I'm going to take a snow day more often.

Appreciate- I have the best neighbors in the world, and best of all is my next door neighbor. He and I are kindred spirits on many levels, with one being our appreciation for locally grown produce. He attends an Amish auction on Fridays and buys wonderful gorgeous produce there that he uses in boxes for low income community folks near his church. He is very generous and shares with us most every week. This week there were beets in the mix, and the great thing about being the only beet lover in the house is I get all of them! We had the best sweet corn tonight I think I’ve ever had. Tomorrow I’m going to cook up that basket of gorgeous baby yellow squash. The telltale reminder of how rich I feel tonight would be the red stain around my nails! Can’t thank my neighbor enough!

3 comments:

donna said...

You may think the guy next door is the best neighbor in the world, but if he's giving you beets....then I'm not so sure:)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I got some of them, too. Yum! Carrie

Beth Akins said...

I love how you appreciate the little things and enjoy every moment.