Saturday, February 21, 2009

Hope of Spring


Today was the first meeting of the Steering Committee for the Phoenix Hill Farmer's Market 2009. Every single Tuesday afternoon that I have pulled into that lot I have just felt so excited and proud that our neighborhood has such a great market. Our farmers have become our friends, adding even more value to the great food we are able to get from them. Starting last year we had music every week too which made it even more festive.
I have such a huge admiration for our friends who work the land to bring fresh locally grown produce and goods to the market each week. The first year, a late and unexpected heavy freeze cost most of our farmers the produce that was almost ready to bring to market, putting everyone off to a late start. Last year the spring was so wet that they weren't able to plant until late, and we saw another slow start to the season. Then the fall Hurricane winds took a heavy toll on their land and outbuildings, and left so many folks without power in town that business was very slow. The ice storm a couple of weeks ago followed by the heavy winds cost two of our farmers a greenhouse apiece. And still, they are the most resilient and pleasant lot of folks I've ever had the opportunity to work with.
It was a dose of good medicine to sit around the table with them today as it was snowing outside to anticipate spring and new crops and deeper friendships.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so looking forward to all the local farmer's markets this year that I can hardly stand the waiting. Your FM photos have always been some of my favorites and I hope you take lots this year.

Beth Akins said...

I'm with you! I can't wait for my farmer's market and hope to get to yours, too! Wonderful pictures- I cant wait for spring. LMK what you do for a soapmaker.