Friday, June 8, 2012

Wednesday just became the best day of the week!

011

Yesterday began my second year of enjoying wonderful fresh local produce made available to me by the Fresh Stop program.  Last year I never blogged about it because I felt like it was all just too good to be true!!   This year I hope to give a weekly report.

Sooooo, yesterday we got cabbage, cauliflower, cucumbers. zucchini, yellow squash, green onions, kohlrabi, green beans, beets, swiss chard, and buttercrisp lettuce- three big heavy bags. 

For years, Wednesday has been my least favorite day of the week, but I think that’s about to change!  I can’t even tell you how excited I get each week to see what we will get.  My friend and neighbor Mr. Al runs the program, and he lovingly selects each and every item and has developed a great network of farms and auctions for the highest quality local produce. 

One of the things I love most is that it pushes me to find new ways to prepare things, some of which we might not have tried otherwise.  For this week?  I’m thinking about this-

Swiss Chard with Olives

Swiss Chard with Olives

Pinned Image

Tonight we had stuffed zucchini

IMG_1634

Cracklin’ Cauliflower on the docket this weekend…

Roasted Beets with Balsamic Vinegar

And some old-fashioned slaw.

Can’t wait til next Wednesday!

No comments: