Sunday, May 8, 2011

Oh Happy Day!

Today is the 40th birthday of my precious friend Gwen and Gwen’s first Mother’s Day as a mom.  I couldn’t help but think today about the Mother’s Day Sundays that she and I have “cut” church together,  feeling an acute aloneness on that day in a church full of moms.  If anyone had told us as we sat in Cherokee Park with Gwen playing her guitar and us watching people all around that already change was winding a crooked path toward us, we would have not believed it. 

When my first Mother’s Day as a mom rolled around, it was Gwen who helped my little ones make it a perfect day for me, and continued to do that until they were old enough to do what they wanted to do on their own.

For as long as I have known her, I have known how smart she is, how rock solid, faithful to a fault, big hearted, and steadfast she is.   And now I am seeing all new things growing in her life, not the least of them being an uncharacteristic ferocity- the kind that comes with motherhood.  She has this new glint in her eye- that don’t. mess.with.my.kid walk on hot coals swim the deepest seas I will never leave you look. 

Happy Birthday to my dear friend. Welcome to the pack.

1 comment:

Beth Akins said...

Well, I don't know Gwen, but she sound like my kinda folks so Happy Birthday, Gwen and a belated Happy Mother's Day. May you be well-celebrated and feel overwhelmingly loved!