Wednesday, February 17, 2010

“props”

007_au

Several years ago when I entered into that peri-menopausal state where I could not order or contain my thoughts, I began to explore new ways to spend time in prayer and meditation.    I don’t even remember who introduced me to the finger labyrinth, but it has been a welcome friend for me.   I visualize different things as I trace its familiar corridors.  Sometimes I visualize myself walking past and away from the distractions of this world, or I envision all of the beloved saints and loved ones lining the corridors, pushing me on in my journey to the center.   If I am agitated or anxious,  as my fingers move along toward that special place in the center (which I call the lap of God!) I literally see myself leaving behind all of that stuff, moving to a place of peace and joy.  When a friend is going through something so horrible that I can’t even put prayer into words, I scoop up my beloved and carry them through the labyrinth, setting them down right there in the center of God’s great love. 

I began using prayer beads in much the same way.   Pictured here are my “at home” beads and my office beads.   Each bead represents someone I pray for regularly and is a reminder and a link between me and my family and friends and the larger world> Something about holding that tiny pebble of a bead helps me to better hold them in my heart.

Years ago during Lent we used a simple meditation bell to call us into a time of silence.  I’ve wanted one since then and it took me until the last few weeks to get my act together to find one.  Nine bucks at Amazon? Sold!  Loving it!

Anyway, if you are like me and need something physical to hold onto to anchor you to others, I recommend you put together your own little cast of colors and textures  

While snapping the above pictures, couldn’t resist a photo of a little tiny corner in my office.  I work in a busy clinic for folks who are living with and/or are affected by HIV.  There are not very many little pockets of whimsy in the clinic , so I created my own so that I never have to look far to see something I truly love.   Every little item has a story!

008_au

2 comments:

donna said...

Luv the pocket of whimsy in your office. Maybe some day you'll tell us more about the lamp.

I use my grandfather's wooden-beaded rosary to keep me focused when praying.

Last weekend I rented the 1986 David Bowie movie, Labyrinth. It was rated PG but Phillip was frightened by it, so we didn't watch it all.

donna

Beth Akins said...

I love seeing a bit of your office and picture you glancing towards whimsy from time to time for peace and comfort.
I think some tangible items for prayer and meditation would be most helpful. I love the finger labyrinth. When you told me about it, it isn't what I picture in my mind. Now I love it!