Sunday, March 4, 2012

In the Desert

019_au

During the 40 days of Lent, the Jeff Street folks are spending some time looking at the things that sustain us in the desert.  Each week we will be adding something to our walking stick to remind us of those things. 

020_au

Last week we looked at the words that we carry in our hearts.

Today we looked at Memory.  In thinking of the memories that sustain me in the desert, there are the memories of traditions, of special moments, of stories passed down to me of the important memories of my family and my friends.  I find myself often leaning into the memories of moments when I have felt safest, well cared for and loved, when I have been unburdened by cares and worries.

When I was in my 20’s and given to bouts of melancholy, I started a good memory book.  I made a point of writing good memories down as they were being made, knowing that in days ahead I could pull that book out as a visual reminder of all of the good and tender and precious things I held in my heart.  I continued that tradition well into my 30’s.  Might not be a bad idea to start a new book.  (At this stage in my life, it might be best for me to write down ANYTHING I want to remember!) From the vantage point of 55 years, I’ve learned that even a memory that evokes sadness at times still is a good memory, one that I need to revisit and one that sustains me and reminds me that I am strong and brave and capable when I need to be. 

I am so grateful for all of the wonderful and rich memories that are a part of my walking stick  for those times when I walk in the desert.

021_au

 

2 comments:

Beth Akins said...

Such a sweet post.

donna said...

You've got me thinking now that I need to throw away my "worry book" and start over with a "memory book".