Tuesday, July 6, 2010

For Today

Outside my window…..  it’s so hot, and I am begrudging all of the porch sitting that this heat has cheated me out of!  I’m missing my neighbors and their stories!

I am  thinking...about the Phoenix Hill Farmer’s Market tonight. When the market opened up several years, it was the fulfillment of a dream and a lot of groundwork that some of us had been involved with  for years.  For the first year, and maybe even the second too, every time I pulled up there my heart just swelled.  I loved seeing all of my neighbors and I loved getting to know our farmers and having that connection with our food.  Not sure if it’s been because of the weather, or if there are just sooooo many farmer’s markets this year, but our traffic has been so very slow and it makes me worried for the farmers and for the future of our market.  I’m hoping it’s just a lull due to weather.   I encourage everyone to buy locally grown  food,  build friendships with the amazing folks who work so hard to bring that great food to the market, and strengthen the bonds of your community.  And if you are in or around Phoenix Hill, get to that market on Tuesdays!

I am thankful for...my home and my own bed!  I had a lovely visit to Grand Rapids this past week but boy was I happy to see DH at the curbside waiting for me upon my return!

From the kitchen….I can smell the big bowl of fresh peaches I bought at the market today.   I just had to have one as soon as I got in the car, and it was sooooooo delicious and sooooooo juicy that when all was said and done I had gotten it not only all over my face and chin but my clothes and steering wheel were covered as well.

I am wearing.. the mumu.  I mean, it is after all Summer!

I am reading...  My Life in France by Julia Childs.  It’s very interesting and good.

I am hoping...for a break in this weather.  Maybe then I would get out and make some half-hearted attempt at taming the wild things growing in my yard and flower beds!

I am hearing...my little Herbie dog barking.  Every night K brings him into the office and puts him in his bed and goes to get his water bowl.  Every night he carries on to no end, certain that she is going to forget his water bowl which she never ever does. 

Around the house...I have piles of projects in every room I think!

A few plans for the rest of the week…My good friends are coming in for a visit from North Carolina.  This weekend is Urban Goatwalker Coffee House weekend which I always look forward to.

Here’s a picture for thought I am sharing-

007_au

Had a retreat here on Saturday and will return there for a big church gathering on Sunday.  I highly recommend their bright creative space.

Today I have joined with other women who are choosing to linger on the simple things on Tuesdays through The Simple Woman’s Daybook

2 comments:

Beth Akins said...

I hoped to get to the market, but was detained at home. The Workshop is wonderful- didn't even know it existed! I got peaches at our market SAturday- they were sooo juicy and good. Hope the weather allows for some porch visiting soon, doesn't look like tonight is the night, though.
See you, friend.

Anonymous said...

I've been to events at The WorkShop, too. It's a neat space and the rates are very reasonable.