Monday, May 17, 2010

Yesterday

Thought it might be fun to look at some of Marc and Angel’s 50 Questions that Will Free Your Mind on Sunday nights as a way for me to focus on something besides the Sunday Night Blues.   Tonight’s question is, “Five years from now, will you remember what you did yesterday?”.

I will.  No, I won’t remember March 15, 2010.  But I will remember the Deacons Retreat in Waddy, the one where we used the host’s house.  It’s in my retreat journal, and in that journal I read an entry from my last time to go there on retreat- 6-28-08. 

The wonderful couple who own the property live in a beautiful home, built by hand with mostly provisions from their own land.   On the same property they have a large retreat building, but they had other guests in that building and just threw open the door of their own house for us to retreat in.  They had 6 or 7 of the sweetest dogs in the world.  I was struck over and over with one word- generosity.  There was the obvious generosity of the land, all green and gorgeous and the generosity of dogs who love us whether we deserve it or not and who knew how to make a person feel important.  Then there is the  generosity of my fellow deacons, all busy folks, all setting aside  this day for time together.  Most of all, the generosity of the amazing hosts and their wide open hands and hearts that welcomed us in.

So, I may not remember the dates, but Ill remember the event that happened yesterday, and I bet I sigh a contented sigh when I even think about it.

1 comment:

donna said...

Your day retreat sounds like it was all you wanted it to be plus much more.

The photo is so lovely -- wish I could sit on the bench with you and visit.

I've printed out the 50 Questions. I need all the help I can get when it comes to focusing on the important things in life.

donna